From:
"Mike Teague" <kvuo@earthlink.net>
Sent: 6/2/2001 8:34:05 PM
To:
"gpsstash" <gpsstash@yahoogroups.com>, contact@geocaching.com
Cc:
Bcc:
Subject:

All the latest nonsense, including the term "Geocaching", and credits...


Theres A LOT of quoted material underneath what I wrote, but all of it is
relevant...

I concur with Matt's comment... The term "geocache", "geocaching", etc, was
first used around May 30, 2000...

The history described on geocaching.com has also bugged me a little
bit...... So what.. We have some ego's in this crap.. Call me
guilty... We want to be recognized for what we did do.. In reality, Dave
hid the first cache, posted it on sci.geo.satellite-nav... I was the first
GPS user to find it,,, This was ambiguous in the past, because that first
cache DID have one log entry when I got there, but it was one of Dave's
friends that had just gone out to where Dave directed him, without GPS....
Hence the "two people had found it"... If you ask Dave, he will confirm that
I was the first "stranger" to find his first cache... I also put the
original sci.geo.satellite-nav posts down at the bottom of this message...



Perhaps more importantly, it was September of 2000 that geocaching.com
became the "official"
site... Look at the egroups archives, starting around message 394 for the
beginnings...
and the time I "turned it over" "officially" was:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsstash/message/405


while none of the stuff was "official" in any way, it just turned out that
way by general understanding... My ISP was down at the time, and I gave the
go-ahead.. just notice the dates...




the original message is below:

Don't get me wrong, because some of these are just interesting from a
historical perspective, I was able to find Dave's first cache post from the
newsgroup, and attached it here at the end... I just decided to put things
as straight as I can think, and just find the relevant messages...


From: "Mike Teague"
Date: Wed Sep 6, 2000 8:59 pm
Subject: Re: [gpsstash] You should get a mirror site...


jeremy irish, owner of geocaching.com is in the process of taking over what
my site has done up to this point.... it will have more functionality than
I could ever build into mine.. hopefully it will make the whole game more
enjoyable..

I dont really have time to keep a site up-to-date anymore, but I will remain
involved in the game...after all, my site was originally intended only to be
a _temporary_ home for the gps stash community...

in the mean time, while jeremy gets geocaching.com all up to speed and
operational, my site will remain up, (if my damned ISP ever gets around to
fixing the server) and I will continue to maintain the master list for Matt
Stum's distance calculator at http://www.42nd-dimension.com/gps/caches.asp

I will probably discontinue the state-by-state listings for the caches on my
page though..


Mike Teague - http://www.triax.com/yngwie



-----Original Message-----
From: t.radeskog@h...
To: gpsstash@egroups.com
Date: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 11:52 AM
Subject: [gpsstash] You should get a mirror site...


>
>Your site is the best GPS Stash hunting site out there Mike. So please,
>get a mirror site, or something like that. I have noticed that TRIAX is
>down often...
>
>
>At Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:04:09 -0400, "Jay Chamberlain"
>wrote:
>
>>
>>-------------------------- eGroups Sponsor -------------------------
>>~-~>
>> A FREE OFFER FOR OUR READERS
>>IT'S SHAGADELIC, BABY! Get ShagMail Newsletters - FREE!
>>Choose from Hilarious, Entertaining and Informative titles. Visit now!
>>http://click.egroups.com/1/8921/7/_/_/_/968252567/
>>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>>-_->
>>
>>Bummer, Mike.... What's with Triax.com? Looks like your site is still
>>down......
>>
>>Jay C.
>>Fredericksburg, VA
>>
>>
>>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>GPS Stash Hunt Page :
>>The GPS Stash Hunt page.
>>http://www.triax.com/yngwie/gps.html
>>
>>GPS Stash Hunt FAQ :
>>THE FAQ
>>http://www.triax.com/yngwie/stashfaq.txt
>>
>>
>>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>>gpsstash-unsubscribe@egroups.com
>>
>
>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>GPS Stash Hunt Page :
>The GPS Stash Hunt page.
>http://www.triax.com/yngwie/gps.html
>
>GPS Stash Hunt FAQ :
>THE FAQ
>http://www.triax.com/yngwie/stashfaq.txt
>
>
>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>gpsstash-unsubscribe@egroups.com
>
>
>
-----------------------


Some more history, I was able to find on google.com's usenet archive... very
interesting to go look at!



THE ORIGINAL CACHE POST!!!
------------------------
From: Dave (news2yousNOneSPAM@hotmail.com.invalid)
Subject: GPS Stash Hunt... Stash #1 is there!
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 2000/05/03





Well, I did it, created the first stash hunt stash and here are
the coordinates:

N 45 17.460
W122 24.800

Lots of goodies for the finders. Look for a black plastic bucket
buried most of the way in the ground. Take some stuff, leave
some stuff! Record it all in the log book. Have Fun!

Stash contians: Delorme Topo USA software, videos, books, food,
money, and a slingshot!

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

-------------------


and the first find posted to that newsgroup is in this link

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=217598045b586868,
6&seekm=tWqR4.7666%24Lx.1219675%40news-west.usenetserver.com#p




also that contained the first website url that I threw together...

---------------------

From: Mike Teague (yngwie@triax.com)
Subject: GPS Stash #2 and #3
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 2000/05/07




Ok, here ya go... I went and placed 2 stashes today..

First one: #2
N 46*08.495
W 122*19.818

Second one: #3
N 46*06.815
W 122*19.720

both WGS84

There's a GPS in one of em, also some CD's, beer, some food, other various
items... Make sure to write of your visit in the logbook.

Caution: #3 is in some semi-rough terrain, involves a little climbing over
some rocks and dead trees... Wear some sturdy shoes and watch your step!


--
Mike Teague - http://glock.triax.com
WW5126-RGE0002-N024MT - ZSE C2






Message 2 in thread
From: Mike Teague (yngwie@triax.com)
Subject: Re: GPS Stash #2 and #3
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 2000/05/07




I should also add that they are in clear rubbermaid containers. about 10x8"
rectangular with white tops, and GPS clearly written on all sides, so they
should be easy to spot..

Mike Teague wrote in message ...
>Ok, here ya go... I went and placed 2 stashes today..
>
>First one: #2
>N 46*08.495
>W 122*19.818
>
>Second one: #3
>N 46*06.815
>W 122*19.720
>
>both WGS84
>
>There's a GPS in one of em, also some CD's, beer, some food, other various
>items... Make sure to write of your visit in the logbook.
>
>Caution: #3 is in some semi-rough terrain, involves a little climbing over
>some rocks and dead trees... Wear some sturdy shoes and watch your step!
>
>
>--
>Mike Teague - http://glock.triax.com
>WW5126-RGE0002-N024MT - ZSE C2
>
>
>
>






Message 3 in thread
From: Dave (news2yousNOneSPAM@hotmail.com.invalid)
Subject: Re: GPS Stash #2 and #3
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 2000/05/07





FANTASTIC ! Thats the spirit lets use these damn things!!

I totaled my 2000 year snowmobile up on St. Helens a few weeks
ago. Insurance paid off and now its almost ready to run again.
I'll be up that way in a few days, hope there is still enough
snow for one more crash but not too much to find the stash...

Dave...



* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!



Message 4 in thread
From: Mike Teague (yngwie@triax.com)
Subject: Re: GPS Stash #2 and #3
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 2000/05/07




There's no snow up where I put em.. I _WAS_ gonna go higher up but indeed,
snow.. (at the 2600 foot level :). Little too deep to drive thru so we just
settled for a different area..

BTW I found yours yesterday ;)

I put together a little page for the game..
http://www.triax.com/yngwie/gps.html



Dave wrote in message <00010dc6.52ec50ea@usw-ex0107-055.remarq.com>...
>
>FANTASTIC ! Thats the spirit lets use these damn things!!
>
>I totaled my 2000 year snowmobile up on St. Helens a few weeks
>ago. Insurance paid off and now its almost ready to run again.
>I'll be up that way in a few days, hope there is still enough
>snow for one more crash but not too much to find the stash...
>
>Dave...
>
>
>
>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network
*
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!
>






Message 5 in thread
From: Steve Yeager (syeager_x@erols.com)
Subject: Re: GPS Stash #2 and #3
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 2000/05/07




Right off the Natl Forest Develop Road 81? At least this is what Street
Atlas USA is showing :) I am too far away anyway. Just curious.

"Mike Teague" wrote in message
news:sXlR4.5908$Lx.764391@news-west.usenetserver.com...
> Ok, here ya go... I went and placed 2 stashes today..
>
> First one: #2
> N 46*08.495
> W 122*19.818
>
> Second one: #3
> N 46*06.815
> W 122*19.720
>
> both WGS84
>
> There's a GPS in one of em, also some CD's, beer, some food, other various
> items... Make sure to write of your visit in the logbook.
>
> Caution: #3 is in some semi-rough terrain, involves a little climbing over
> some rocks and dead trees... Wear some sturdy shoes and watch your step!
>
>
> --
> Mike Teague - http://glock.triax.com
> WW5126-RGE0002-N024MT - ZSE C2
>
>
>
>




Message 6 in thread
From: Mike Teague (yngwie@triax.com)
Subject: Re: GPS Stash #2 and #3
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 2000/05/07




yep, both within about 300 feet of the road..


Steve Yeager wrote in message <8f5akj$lgg$1@bob.news.rcn.net>...
>Right off the Natl Forest Develop Road 81? At least this is what Street
>Atlas USA is showing :) I am too far away anyway. Just curious.
>
>"Mike Teague" wrote in message
>news:sXlR4.5908$Lx.764391@news-west.usenetserver.com...
>> Ok, here ya go... I went and placed 2 stashes today..
>>
>> First one: #2
>> N 46*08.495
>> W 122*19.818
>>
>> Second one: #3
>> N 46*06.815
>> W 122*19.720
>>
>> both WGS84
>>
>> There's a GPS in one of em, also some CD's, beer, some food, other
various
>> items... Make sure to write of your visit in the logbook.
>>
>> Caution: #3 is in some semi-rough terrain, involves a little climbing
over
>> some rocks and dead trees... Wear some sturdy shoes and watch your step!
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mike Teague - http://glock.triax.com
>> WW5126-RGE0002-N024MT - ZSE C2
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
















Mike Teague -- http://home.earthlink.net/~kvuo/



----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Stum"
To:
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2001 2:37 PM
Subject: [gpsstash] Coining terms


>
> Dear contact@geocaching.com,
>
> In your "Credits" page (http://www.geocaching.com/about/credits.asp) you
have
> the following paragraph:
>
> "In July of 2000, Jeremy Irish found Mike Teague's web site and found his
first cache
> outside of Seattle, Washington. Recognizing the potential of the game,
Jeremy
> approached Mike Teague with a new site design, coined the term Geocaching,
and
> developed a new web site adding virtual logs, maps, and a way to make it
easier to
> maintain caches as the sport grows."
>
> I find this to be inaccurate and I hope you will make corrections so that
the
> history of GPS-based caching will be recorded accurately. In May of 2000,
> I was the first to use the term "geocache" and "geocaching". The terms
> were in common use by July of 2000. I am not claiming ownership of the
> terms, and in fact recently declared them free for all to use without let
or
> hindrance (if I indeed have any such authority). I just wish the record
to
> reflect that it was not Jeremy Irish who coined the term "geocaching" as
> that is in error.
>
> I can provide references to Yahoo Groups discussion archives if you wish.
>
> Thank you for your attention,
> Matt Stum
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The gpsstash page
> http://www.geocaching.com
> The GPS Stash Hunt page.
> http://www.triax.com/~yngwie/gps.html
>
> GeoCache HQ
> http://www.braveheart.com.au
> GPS Stash Hunt FAQ :
> http://www.triax.com/~yngwie/stashfaq.txt
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> gpsstash-unsubscribe@egroups.com
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>







Mike Teague -- http://home.earthlink.net/~kvuo/